Read from FRM2100-AFR tag

Forums Forums General Discussions Read from FRM2100-AFR tag

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Greg Pitner 2 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Community Member
    • ★★★★

Hi,

I have several RFM2100-AFR tags and I read them by using the Scanfob Ultra-BB2 scanner. The value I got is a 24-digit number(eg. 000000000000000000000986). When I tried to perform the experiments shown in the following two Youtube videos, the value I read from the tag did not change.

May I know if I was reading the right number? It looks like a tag id rather than the moisture value.

Shall I use another scanner/reader?

Thanks a lot.

RFMicron
    RFMicron Ambassador
    • ★★★★

Mike, Thanks for the question.

You are correct — the 24-digit number is the Electronic Product Code (EPC) of the tag, not the Sensor Code. The Sensor Code (which can indicate moisture) is located in the “Reserved” memory bank of that tag, in (decimal) word address 11. You’ll have to specify that your reader can get the value at that location — maybe by configuring some parameters in its tag-reading application, or writing your own software for it. We have experience with ThingMagic and Nordic ID readers, so if you have trouble with the Scanfob and have access to one of those readers, we can probably give more detailed help for it.

The Sensor Code will be a value between 0 and 31, and will depend on the presence of water on the sensing area of the tag, and also to some extent on the channel frequency the tag was read on.

Martinez
    Community Member
    • ★★★★

I need help on this same issue for moisture. I am using thingmagic astra-na with mercury 5e

Greg Pitner
    RFMicron Team Member
    • ★★★★

Hi Martinez,

Here is a code fragment in C# for the ThingMagic Mercury API which can control the Astra reader. This shows how to grab the Sensor Code, which is stored in the Reserved bank in word location (decimal) 11, or (hex) B.

Reader r = Reader.Create(“tmr:///COM5”); // Assumes reader is connected on COM5 emulated serial port
    r.Connect();
    TagOp sensorCodeRead = new Gen2.ReadData(Gen2.Bank.RESERVED, 0xB, 1);
    SimpleReadPlan readPlan = new SimpleReadPlan(new int[] { 1 }, TagProtocol.GEN2, null, sensorCodeRead, true, 100);
    r.ParamSet(“/reader/read/plan”, readPlan);
    TagReadData[] sensorReadResults = r.Read(200);
    foreach (TagReadData result in sensorReadResults)
    {
    string frequency = result.Frequency.ToString();
    string sensorCode = ByteFormat.ToHex(result.Data, “”, “”);
    Console.WriteLine(“EPC: ” + result.EpcString + ” Freq (kHz): ” + frequency + ” Sensor Code: ” + sensorCode);
    }

Keep in mind the Sensor Code can depend on channel frequency and received power as well as the presence of moisture. Application notes AN002 and AN006 provide more information. I hope this helps.

Martinez
    Community Member
    • ★★★★

Thanks greg!

Is there any correlating values between the sensor code and moisture level?

Greg Pitner
    RFMicron Team Member
    • ★★★★

I just posted this in response to another question, but it applies here: in general, the Sensor Code on the 2100 drops when water is on the interleaved finger structure on the tag. It’s not a calibrated measurement, in the sense of a certain volume of water being equal to a certain numerical change. But more water does tend to result in a larger change in the Sensor Code in comparison to when the tag is dry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.